Mountain Biking at Markham

I know that it sounds crazy but we found some awesome mountain bike trails.  Yes, I did say "mountain".

When we moved here, I was pleasantly surprised to see that everything wasn't totally flat.  In fact there was a good-sized hill that you could see from the freeway.  It reminded me of Hill Cumorah by how it stood out from the flatter areas around it.  Imagine my surprise to find that the only good-sized hill in the area was the old landfill now a city park?  It's called Vista View Park but I've heard it referred to as Mt. Trashmore.

Broward County has some amazing parks.  Markham Park has picnic areas, playgrounds, camping, jet ski lakes, RC airplane and helicopter runways and flying areas, a rifle range, a trap shooting course and mountain bike trails.

After watching an eleven-minute video telling us it was our fault if we got hurt, we were signed off to explore the mountain bike trails.  The trails range from novice to expert/pro and are actually pretty challenging.  The entire area is designed as a mountain setting.  There were pine trees and aspens and not a palm tree in sight.

I went on a novice trail and thought that was challenging enough for my first time mountain biking.  Stephen and Derek went on to some intermediate trails.

Derek is serious about his biking.

Heading down the trail. It looks flat here but the trails had steep inclines and roots and rocks.
After the ride, Stephen was already making plans to rent good mountain bikes so they could do some of the crazier trails next time.

Comments

  1. Keep this activity in mind for when Jesse comes to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing the pictures almost makes me miss mountain biking . . . but then I remember all the boo-boos and pain, and I don't. ;) hehe . . . Glad you guys had fun, though! Be safe!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts