Christmas Music Fireside

I don't have any pictures.  I guess I'll have to paint a picture with words.

I love Christmas music.  I love singing, playing and listening to carols about Jesus' birth.  They inspire me and fill me with joy.

And I got filled with the beautiful music of the season and felt inspired and uplifted at our stake Christmas Music Fireside last evening.

The decorations were beautiful--red fabric draping, pine garlands, poinsettias, white lights and a beautiful wreath--and the decorations instantly said "It's Christmas!".  The sound of Christmas prelude music drew those attending into the chapel.

The fireside was a nice mix of congregational hymns (doesn't everyone love to sing at Christmas time?), choir numbers, small group performances and instrumental numbers.  I loved hearing the cello accompaniment to the stake primary children as they sang "Away in a Manger" and then to hear the stake choir join in on the third verse was lovely.  We had a flute obbligato during the stake choir number "Peace, Peace, Peace".  I love those little extra touches that add to the performance and help me feel the Spirit.  The young women from one of our wards sang a lovely song about the gifts that we could give the Savior.  A special treat was when the congregation sang Silent Night in Spanish, Creole and English to represent many of the languages in our stake.  I really enjoyed the instrumental arrangement of "The First Noel" performed by a cellist and two violinists and me (piano).

A reader (what an expressive and wonderful voice he had!) shared quotes from latter-day prophets about Christmas and Jesus Christ.  Hearing what our prophet has said encouraged me to focus on the things that really matter this Christmas season and throughout the year.

President Bartholomew gave a wonderful talk focusing on the perspective of the shepherds who visited Jesus at His birth and applying that to us now.  It was such an inspiring talk.  I always learn so much from him.

The evening ended with some refreshments--cookies, vegetable trays and orange wedges.  Stephen and our friends Jon and Holly did a great job of making sure the refreshment tables were all set up and stocked with goodies.  We had planned on 400 people attending but I think there were more than that.  The refreshments went really fast!

We had some investigators and other guests who attended the fireside.  I hope they felt welcomed and enjoyed the Christmas music and talks.

Now, on to putting the final touches on my Christmas plans.  I can't wait for our children to get home--1 more week!  I hope to have some special experiences and fun with them and our friends this Christmas season.

Comments

  1. I'm so glad all your hard work paid off and you were able to enjoy the performances and the Spirit of the Season!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts